Be it mold growth or fungus attack, your home can be at stake if you cannot take proper action before it is too late. It is moisture that accelerates mold and fungus growth. That’s why it is very important to know how to determine whether your home and all its furniture come with a good balance of moisture or not.
If you are a homeowner or home inspector, a moisture meter is something that you must own. In this article, we are going to review the 10 best moisture meters for home inspectors. These moisture meters will let you check whether the wood floors, furniture, or construction materials are in harmony with moisture and not badly affected by an excess of it.
Well, before diving straight into the review, let’s get to know what is moisture meter and how to use it. Also, you can check this article, where we briefly discuss How to Use a Moisture Meter on Drywall?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Moisture Meter?
- 2 How to Use Moisture Meter?
- 3 i) General Tools Digital Moisture Meter
- 4 ii) Tavool Wood Moisture Meter
- 5 iii) Dr.meter Pinless Wood Pinless Moisture Meter
- 6 iv) Ryobi E49MM01 Digital LED Pinless Moisture Meter
- 7 v) Calculated AccuMASTER XT Digital Moisture Meter
- 8 vi) Proster Handheld Wood Moisture Test Meter
- 9 vii) SAM-PRO Dual Moisture Meter
- 10 viii) Lignomat Moisture Meter Mini-Ligno E/D
- 11 ix) EXTECH MO55 – COMBINATION PIN/PINLESS MOISTURE METER
- 12 x) Agratronix HT-Pro Portable Moisture Tester
- 13 How to Buy the Best Moisture Meter for Home Inspectors?
- 14 Type of Moisture Meter:
- 15 Weight of Moisture Meter:
- 16 Temperature Range:
- 17 Moisture Range:
- 18 Final Words
What is Moisture Meter?
A moisture meter is a modern device that works to determine the percentage of water or humidity in any substance, e.g., wood, paper, construction ingredients, etc. A moisture meter can be of three kinds: Pin type moisture meter, Pinless type moisture meter and Hybrid moisture meter (combining both the features of pin-type and pinless type).
The moisture meter can determine whether any material is ready or good to use. You will know whether any physical material is unexpectedly dry or wet by checking that with a moisture meter. It can help you beforehand to save your material from further degradation.
How to Use Moisture Meter?
Fortunately, using a moisture meter is one of the easiest tasks on the earth. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to use a moisture meter. However, as the pin-type and pinless-type moisture meter work differently, you need to follow different methods to measure moisture with them.
When it comes to using a pin-type moisture meter, you just need to turn it on and set the right mode. Now, point the pins in a perpendicular way to the surface. Push the pins as long as they go deeper. Write down the reading you get from the display. Then, repeat the same on other places of the surface to get the best estimation of the moisture rate.
With a pinless-type moisture meter, you use the sensor pad to get the idea about the humidity in the material. To get the reading from a pinless-type moisture meter, put the sensor upon the test material without leaving any gap between them. You can get more reading if you slide the moisture meter over other places.
Now that you know about the moisture meter and how to use it, it’s time to review the 10 best moisture meters for you. Let’s start right away.
i) General Tools Digital Moisture Meter
Be it softwood, hardwood or any building materials you can think of, General Tools MMD7NP Pinless Digital Moisture Meter can be an ideal choice from your end. Detecting moisture was never so easy, thanks to this moisture meter for its 19mm deep working range.
You can easily check the humidity of your furniture with the LCD screen and LED bar graph. Along with visuals, it comes with audible alerts to check the moisture out. As this moisture meter is pinless, you do not need to worry about pinholes or scratching while you take the reading.
- Both audio and visual alerts.
- No risk of scuffing as it is pinless.
- Provides with 3 to 4 inches deep reading.
- The LCD screen and LED bar graph to have made it easy to use and read.
- Scans large areas within a short time.
- 4 ounces only.
- Battery included.
- Manufacturer: General Tools.
- Model: MMD7NP.
- Weight: 4 ounces.
ii) Tavool Wood Moisture Meter
If you are looking for a pin-type moisture meter that will give you accurate data about the humidity in the woods and construction materials, you can go for Tavool wood moisture meter. With two precise pins, you can find any hidden water leaks and moisture growth in your home.
Coming with 8 calibration scales, Tavool Wood Moisture Meter is designed mainly for measuring the %MC in woods of many types. It comes with two measuring modes with easy-to-read backlit LED screen. You can see the temperature in the display in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.
- Hand-friendly shape with rubber grips.
- Turns off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity.
- Can handle wood of many types.
- A wide measuring range up to 60%.
- Pins are made of stainless steel.
- Memory function available.
- 2-year warranty period.
- Manufacturer: Tavool.
- Weight: 6.4 ounces.
iii) Dr.meter Pinless Wood Pinless Moisture Meter
Dr.meter MD-908 is a non-invasive pinless moisture meter that uses high-frequency electromagnetic waves to scan anything like bamboo, cartoon, cotton, and wood. With this, you have the liberty to choose from 10 timber density.
It also features a temperature compensation function. Dr.meter saves your power by getting shut down if it is idle for 5 minutes only. A large LCD screen will help to let it work even in dark.
- No holes or scratch.
- More accurate readings with TC function.
- 0.5% resolution.
- Power supplied by 3 1.5V AAA batteries.
- Calibration feature for better output.
- Low voltage prompt.
- Manufacturer: Dr.meter.
- Model: MD-918.
- Weight: 7.2 ounces.
iv) Ryobi E49MM01 Digital LED Pinless Moisture Meter
When you scan the surface with Ryobi E49MM01, you will hear high pitch tones if there is moisture pocket there. The audible alerts help to understand the level of humidity without even looking at the LCD screen that comes with it.
The powerful sensor can reach up to half inches deep and read the moisture level accurately. Ryobi works at as low as 32 degrees Fahrenheit and as high as 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Very easy to use.
- Can test wood, masonry or drywall.
- Audible alerts and LCD show up of moisture content percentage.
- Works in different level of heat.
- No pins mean no scratching or scuffing.
- Manufacturer: Ryobi.
- Model: E49MM01.
- Weight: 10.1 Ounces.
v) Calculated AccuMASTER XT Digital Moisture Meter
Coming with two super sharp pins, 7440 AccuMASTER XT Digital Moisture Meter by Calculated Industries is an ideal choice to measure wood, concrete, and other materials.
To make sure whether your firewood is ready or yet to be ready, it comes with 3 levels of indicators to show whether the moisture content in the firewood is low, medium, or high.
- 1-year warranty period.
- Hand-friendly design.
- Sharp and sturdy pins.
- Hold key to freeze the reading.
- Easy to read screen.
- Audio alerts.
- Automatic shut-down feature.
- Battery included.
- Manufacturer: Calculated Industries.
- Model: 7440 AccuMASTER XT.
- Weight: 6.4 Ounces.
vi) Proster Handheld Wood Moisture Test Meter
Proster moisture meter comes with 4 different modes to ensure accurate measurement. It has a large LCD screen with Hold function to hold the data on the screen for a certain moment. When the battery is low, you can get informed about that in the low battery icon. ABS plastic ensures that the meter is durable to last for years.
- Ergonomic design and better fit in hands.
- Battery-saving by auto shut-off.
- 4 modes to test 50 different kinds of woods.
- Electrode pins to make sure you reach the right depth.
- Good for firewood, logs, paper, cardboard and construction materials.
- Manufacturer: Proster.
- Model: PST050.
- Weight: 5.6 Ounces.
vii) SAM-PRO Dual Moisture Meter
To measure the moisture of more than 100 materials, just insert the sensor pins of SAM-PRO moisture meter into the wood and you will find out whether the moisture content is low, medium or high. On top of that, you can also test concrete and drywalls.
Coming with backlit LCD screen and MAX/MIN, HOLD, and SCAN functions, this tool is very handy and easy to use.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- Durable travel case and replacement probes.
- Detection of water damage and mold risk.
- Test the readiness of firewood.
- Easy to understand the operation by user manuals.
- Battery included.
- Manufacturer: SAM-PRO TOOLS.
- Battery Cell Type: Zinc Carbon.
- Weight: 5.6 Ounces.
viii) Lignomat Moisture Meter Mini-Ligno E/D
Lignomat Mini-Ligno E/D features built-in calibration and bright red numeric display to let you know the percentage of moisture content easily. It supports a moisture range of 6 to 45. Coming with two sets of pins, it makes sure that you get the deep and exact reading.
For lumber, veneer, and fiberboards, it is one of the best moisture meters for home inspectors.
- Green cap to work as a handle and pin covering.
- Longer pins are included to measure thick materials.
- Assembled in the.
- Components come from.
- Uses 9V battery.
- Manufacturer: Lignamot USA LTD.
- Model: mini-Ligno E/D.
- Weight: 5.6 Ounces.
ix) EXTECH MO55 – COMBINATION PIN/PINLESS MOISTURE METER
Are you going to build a new home and want to know the moisture content of your entire project? If yes, EXTECH MO55 is for you. As it combines both pin and pinless style, this one works as two in one and is enough for you. The display icons have made it easy to operate and get the data.
Moreover, audible alerts will help you further. Going up to 1 inch deeper, it outputs an almost accurate reading.
- Data Hold function.
- Can determine a low, medium and high level of moisture.
- Measures moisture content even in carpet and tiles.
- Comes with 2 pins, protective cap, and 9V battery.
- Faster audible beeps when a high level of moisture is detected.
- Pin or pinless advantage.
- Manufacturer: EXTECH.
- Model: MO55.
- Weight: 4.3 Ounces.
x) Agratronix HT-Pro Portable Moisture Tester
Agratronix HT-Pro is a certified and frustration-free digital moisture meter. It comes with 20 inches of Hay Probe length. You can know the minimum and maximum moisture level in the wood and construction materials.
It is one of the best moisture meters for home inspectors when it comes to portability and low weight. Moreover, the backlit LED display helps the users to work in low light.
- 8% to 45% of moisture range.
- Temperature range of 0 to 107 degree Celsius.
- Very lightweight.
- Calibration clip included.
- Includes two 9 volt batteries.
- Manufacturer: Agra Tronix.
- Model: V-125.
- Weight: 2.2 Ounces.
How to Buy the Best Moisture Meter for Home Inspectors?
Though we have just reviewed the top trending moisture meters for you, we are well aware that you may become confused about which one to choose for you. It depends a lot on what type of moisture meters you are looking for.
However, there are certain aspects that you should see before deciding to buy the best moisture meter for you as a home inspector. Here are a bunch of things about moisture meter you should evaluate while going to buy one:
Type of Moisture Meter:
Determining the right type is important. Both the pin-type and pinless-type moisture meter comes with certain advantages and disadvantages. Usually, pin-type moisture meter penetrates deep inside the wood and any hard materials to come with the most accurate result.
On the other hand, pinless ones help to measure the moisture without any scratch or holes in your valuable furniture and construction materials. So, you have to set your preference and should decide which one is good for you. However, you can also go for ones that are dual in type.
Weight of Moisture Meter:
The handier your moisture meter is, the better portable that becomes. So, to ensure portability, go for the lightweight one.
By temperature range, we mean a range of temperatures where the moisture meter can work without any issues. Your moisture meter should work from the lowest to the highest level of temperature.
Moisture range gives an idea about the coverage of existing moisture content in the wood or surface. Moisture range can fluctuate between low to high from place to place of the surface.
Choosing the best moisture meters for home inspectors is very important for the future decision about the surface of any kind of wood. If you do not use a moisture meter or use one with low quality, your loss in the future will be irreparable. So, get a moisture meter as soon as you feel that you need one.